This is the last post in my Program Design Mini-Series. In it, I’ll teach you how to select your rest periods.
Program Design Part 6 — Rest Periods
In the first 5 Program Design Post I explained how to…
- set your training goal
- select your exercises
- outline your weekly training schedule
- arrange your exercises into individual workouts
- define your rep and set ranges
- choose your load / intensity
Today, I’ll teach you how to set your rest intervals.
Program Design Step 11: Set your rest intervals
A lot of athletes, exercisers — and trainers, for that matter — don’t pay any attention to the amount of time they take between sets. This is a mistake because the amount of time we rest is very important if we want to maximize the effects of our training.
REMEMBER: You’ll get better results if you monitor your rest intervals and ensure that they’re aligned with your training goal.
Get to work…
There you have it folks, you now have all of the information that you need to start writing your own training programs. To review, here’s how to write your training program, step-by-step:
- Identify your training goal.
- Select your exercises.
- Determine how much time you can commit to training each week.
- Decide which types of training you’ll use.
- Layout your training week.
- Use your selected exercises to design individual workouts.
- Ensure that you exercises are organized in the proper order.
- Choose your rep and set ranges.
- Choose your load / intensity.
- Set your rest intervals.
…So…What are you waiting for? Get to work!
Write a program, then work through it.
Just remember to give yourself enough time to evaluate whether or not it’s working, this should take about 3-6 weeks.
Your first program probably won’t be “perfect”. (If there’s even such a thing.) Like any other skill, it takes time and practice to develop. Just strive to improve your skills with each program that you design.
P.S. If you have questions, feel free to contact me, I’d love to help you out.
P.P.S. If you’d rather just have someone design your programs of you, check out my online coaching services.